rock climbing in Railay//lucas



 Yesterday, we went to a beautiful extension of the mainland called Railay. There were two great white sand beaches and a small town. There is a big mountain range between Krabi and Railay so that you have to take a boat to from Krabi to get there. The boat ride was forty minutes.
When we first got to Railay at 10:00 AM, we registered for a rock climbing course that started at 2:00 PM so we had lots of time to kill. We went and hit a couple beaches, but I'll tell you about the rock climbing part. So, at two o'clock we went back to the place we registered to get geared up. Maya and I wore shoes, helmets, and harnesses. Nothing was that uncomfortable except the shoes, they were like 50 sizes too small, but that's how they are supposed to be because they give your toes better leverage on the rocks.
 Next we went with our guide on a walk to the cliffs. There were about 15 lines in total, ( on that cliff) but I only did five. The best thing about this was that they didn't make you do a big safety talk and prove that you could do it, they just let you loose.

Maya and I before rock climbing



My instructor checked my knot, he was joking, saying "Not good"  but
then I realized he meant "Knot good"!

The first two walls we climbed were fairly small and easy, with lots of handholds. Like actually, I've been rock climbing before and thought that was pretty good, but this, this was incredible. It was hard to believe that the cliff was even natural. because its limestone, it has tons of holds and stuff from all the water running through the soft rocks. 


Maya repelling down a wall


The next line was a bit taller with fewer handholds. It was a bit harder, but still pretty easy. The forth wall was the tallest. 30 meters ( 100 feet ) off the ground. It didn't look that high from the bottom, but when I got up there, I was high!  I could see all of Railay from there.
I'm about one third of the way up the tall wall. the tall wall ends in the
dark area

" all of Railay"


The last wall was the shortest, but possibly the hardest. It had tons of ledges and holds, but the route itself was tricky. When I got to the top of this one, Maya was repelling down the really tall one and I got a good pic.

Unfortunately we had to leave to catch a boat after that, but we still had tons of fun. What's more? When I woke up the next morning, I wasn't even sore! I can't wait to rock climb again. Maybe in Williams Lake!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Now We're Cooking!

Madagascar - Trip to Tsingy de Bemaraha National Park (June 7-9) by Lucas

Island Time Jan 12-20